Lately I have been learning about how cells react in our bodies when placed under stress by food, environment, chemicals and the like. It is all very interesting how cells work, and what happens to cells under duress.
In my “Allergy Testing” lessons I have learned that when you have an allergic reaction, the immune system is the cause, that there is an imbalance in the T-cells. T-helper cells stimulate the reactivity of the immune system while T-suppressor cells dampen down the reactivity of the system. In an allergic person there are more T-helper cells than T-suppressor cells causing a highly reactive immune system.
So to test this theory Paul and I have cleaned up our diet so that we can introduce an allergen and see what effects it has on us. We are using a food substance for our case study.
Case Study: Our lovely neighbour bought us an “Easter Treat” (bless her for thinking of us), which had mostly sugar, coconut, cocoa, emulsifiers, preservatives, colourings, and lots of ingredients with numbers!! I took a couple of bites and Paul had about 3 bites ~ it was disgusting ~ so sweet and sickly, and left a taste of chemicals in my mouth. (I don’t know how I ever thought that this stuff was good ~ I don’t get this reaction when I make my own chocolate products because I use all natural ingredients in them).
Within 5 minutes of ingesting it, my stomach blew up like a balloon and Paul complained that his head was aching. Mine started to ache about 10 minutes after. We both felt jittery, tired, achey and miserable. I could feel the blood pulsing through my veins and I started to have heart palpitations. We tried to eat other things to get the taste out of our mouths, which lead to a bit of overeating…so then we felt nauseous…and the taste was still there!!
Paul felt that it caused his neuro-receptors to shut down, he couldn’t think straight ~ which caused him to need a sleep (which is his way of recovering) ~ he was NOT impressed!!
SO…what was happening in our bodies?
Well, lets call what we ingested an “Allergen”, our bodies have to deal with this on a cellular level so it releases antibodies to bind to what they call the Mast cell (which is the outside of the T-cell). These cells contain histamine pockets, which ~ when released, causes an inflammation. Allergens come in contact with the antibodies and if they link two or more antibodies, they cause the cells to burst. When the cell bursts it releases granules of histamine causing an inflammatory response that irritates the body tissues and produces the symptoms of an allergy.
Hence you get stomach aches, head aches, joint aches, swelling (inflammation) etc.
It’s not that we are allergic to the substance we ingested, we are just not used to it and therefore our bodies have a sort of “panic attack” and treat it as a foreign body within our system. It wants to keep your system healthy therefore it goes into “protect” mode.
This is what happens when we as a society eat junk foods, highly processed foods, oily/fat foods in excess ~ the body copes with it by releasing the chemicals from the cells, which makes everyone feel lethargic and plain and simply ~ just not well. But we seem to think this is the “norm” and that no-one ever truly feels 100%…. Everyone I speak to these days is tired or unwell. However, there comes a time when the cells cannot cope with it either and they breakdown. The immune system shuts down and this is where disease comes in and the cells within the body start to change.
And it just gets worse and worse as Doctors try to figure out how to make the cells healthy again. In the worst case scenario ~ you go on a merry go round of drugs, radiation and chemo therapy when all you really need to do is clean up your immune system to make healthy T-cells.
Wouldn’t it be better to take care of the machine that is your body, fuel it right, give it the right amount of fresh air and exercise, avoid things that trigger an allergic reaction and have a fighting fit immune system?
I think so!!
Well ~ back on the fruits, veggies, smoothies and juices for me tomorrow!!
PS…it’s about an hour and a half since we had the “chocolate” and my headache has kicked in big time….about to flush it out with lots of water!!